by Richard A. Block, Editor
The Able Seaman Course for All License Grades is a four-book home study course first developed in 1970 and updated continuously since then. Together with the Navigation Rules and Lifeboatman books, this series prepares qualified candidates for All Able Seaman (AB) US Coast Guard rating endorsements.
Able Seaman Books 1 and 2, when used with Navigation Rules and Lifeboatman books, are a full course to assist qualified candidates for all Able Seaman (AB) rating endorsements including:
- (1) Able Seaman – unlimited
- (2) Able Seaman – limited
- (3) Able Seaman – special
- (4) Able Seaman – offshore supply vessels
- (5) Able Seaman – sail
- (6) Able Seaman – fishing industry
Both books include text material, illustrations, essay-type questions and answers, and multiple-choice questions and answers. Most multiple-choice questions are taken directly from the U.S. Coast Guard exam question database. The questions are separated by subject and ranked in ascending order of difficulty within each chapter.
The Coast Guard uses the same "deck" question database to test both Able Seaman and licensed officers. Marine Education Textbooks took these questions and added study guides, vocabulary assistance, comments, explanations, and references to help all candidates to prepare for the Coast Guard exams.
Most chapters in the Able Seaman Course for All License Grades, except Chapters 1 and 12, also appear (with different chapter numbers) in our Limited Master, Mate, and Operator study course for a Coast Guard officer credential endorsement and may be used interchangeably for candidates who, at any time, become qualified and decide to work toward the officer endorsement.
- Introduction to Able Seaman and Lifeboatman Certification
- Basic Principles of Watchkeeping
- Nautical Terms and Ship Construction
- Marlinspike Seamanship, Purchases, and Safe Work Practices
- Anchoring, Mooring, & Line Handling
- Maneuvering and Handling
- Fires, Firefighting, & Fire Prevention
- Pollution Control
- First Aid and Medical Care
- Emergency Procedures
- Aids to Navigation
- Advanced Seamanship
Author: Richard A. Block, Editor
Publisher: Marine Education Textbooks
Publication Date: 2015
Edition: Revised Edition K
Series: Able Seaman Course