Our intelligent 8" Dobsonian reflector telescope has ample aperture and computerized smarts that make it an excellent instrument for any astronomy enthusiast. With its computerized object locator system, the Orion SkyQuest XT8i IntelliScope Dobsonian will give you speedy, push-button access to more than 14,000 fascinating celestial objects. Looking for the Whirlpool Galaxy? Press the button labeled "Messier" then select M51. Whoosh! Wow! In seconds, there it is in the telescope eyepiece, once you've pushed the telescope to the position indicated by the handheld Computerized Object Locator. Never been able to find that edge-on galaxy, NGC 891? Tap the "NGC" button, select 891 Whoosh! You're there. It's that easy to locate object after object, so many more in an evening than you could ever find before.
Using the "push-to" IntelliScope system is easy for any backyard stargazer. Just select an object to view from the IntelliScope controller's menu buttons, press Enter, and then move the telescope in the direction of the guide arrows on the liquid crystal display. In seconds, the IntelliScope's two high-resolution, 9,216-step digital encoders pinpoint the object, placing it right in the telescope's field of view. The Computerized Object Locator's database includes a lifetime of celestial objects to view: 837 stars (including double and variable stars), 7,840 NGC objects, 5,386 IC objects, 101 Messier objects, 8 major planets, and 99 user-entered objects. It features illuminated buttons and a backlit, two-line LCD display. The intuitive menu buttons allow selection of objects by type (e.g., Planet, Nebula, Cluster, Galaxy) or catalog number (e.g., M57, NGC 253). Press the Tour button to select one of 12 tours of the best objects visible in any given month. If you happen to find an object you aren't familiar with, you can even use the controller's ID button to find out the name of the object you're viewing.
Since the Orion IntelliScope Computerized Object Locator system does not involve motors, you actively push the telescope following the directions displayed on the handheld IntelliScope controller until the object you've selected is centered. The XT8i IntelliScope will actually teach you about locations of objects in the night sky during use as you gently push the telescope from object to object. Instead of relying on power-draining GoTo system motors, the "push-to" IntelliScope XT8i saves energy and expense by running on a single 9-volt battery cell (included).
- - -
- Large Dobsonian reflector telescope with 8" aperture allows you to see faint deep-sky objects such as nebulas and galaxies, in addition to fantastic views of the Moon and planets
- Locating those faint deep-sky objects is simple with the IntelliScope Computerized Object Locator - it includes more than 14,000 objects in its database, and points you right to each one
- Select the object you wish to view from the IntelliScope database, then simply follow the directional arrows displayed on the hand controller by moving the telescope until the object is right in the eyepiece field of view - it's easy!
- The ultra-stable Dobsonian telescope base keeps the reflector optical tube perfectly balanced for easy point-and-view use
- A precise Crayford focuser allows use of larger format 2" telescope eyepieces - the bright, wide-field view of the Andromeda galaxy in a low power 2" eyepiece is jaw-dropping!
- - -
|Best for viewing
||Brighter deep sky
|Best for imaging
||Lunar & planetary
||Low thermal expansion borosilicate glass